Susan is a litigation and trial lawyer with nearly 30 years of experience working to solve complex disputes for individuals, families, businesses and municipalities. She is a passionate advocate driven by a desire to help clients navigate through the costs, emotion and stress of the legal process. She is dedicated to helping people solve problems and obtain a positive and fair outcome.
Sue’s expertise encompasses many areas of the law including injury, employment, real estate disputes, commercial litigation and family matters. Her practice includes extensive in-court, trial and appellate experience at all levels of state and federal court, as well as representing clients before administrative boards, at arbitration and in mediation.
Susan has obtained favorable settlements for injured plaintiffs, including settlements in excess of $500,000 in cases involving severe and catastrophic personal injury, legal malpractice and discrimination in the workplace. She has successfully defended many cases over the years.
In addition to her varied civil litigation practice, Sue has substantial experience with difficult and sensitive family matters including high asset divorces, parental rights and custody cases and probate litigation.
In addition to working as a passionate and thorough advocate, Sue also serves as a mediator and referee in civil disputes and family matters to assist parties find thoughtful cost effective resolution to disputes.
In 2018, Susan will serve as President of the Maine State Bar Association.
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D. 1989
- Rutgers University, B.A. 1981, recipient of Jay Rumney Memorial Award for outstanding academic achievement.
- Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Municipal Law (2015) in the Portland area
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Municipal since 2012
- New England Super Lawyer® General Litigation (2017)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Maine State Bar Association, President, 2018
- Zoning Board of Appeals, City of Biddeford, Chair
- Fee Arbitration Commission, Chair, Panel 1-A
- Nominating Committee for Carolyn Glassman Duby Award
- York County Bar Association, President 2012-2014
- Edward T. Gignoux Inn of Court, 2009-2016, executive committee 2012-2016
- Maine Justice Foundation, Board Member